Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Winter bloom

Another year begins and with it the opportunity to think about new projects. I have used many of the stones I bought last year and although a few remain unset, I am excited to buy more at the gem shows in February. 

I love to be outside this time of year because the days are getting longer and my garden begins a new cycle of bloom. 


Chimonanthus praecox,  Japanese allspice
This is a most fragrant flowering shrub from Japan. The blooms are short lived in a vase however it has been blooming outside since mid December.
Jasminum nudiflorum,  Winter Jasmine
This is an outstanding hardy plant from China that will cascade if it is on a hillside. It's a spreading low grower. I had to cut whatever I could for a vase before the deer ravage the flowering stems. It isn't fragrant but the color is very beautiful in the winter landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.